40 books in 2010! 20 books in 2011! How many in 2012?
Finishing the last page of a nice book is so much rewarding, so I thought to read more since January 2010 instead of wasting my time in front of the PC or TV. I read whatever I think might be interesting. Fiction or Nonfiction. Each book opens a new horizon. With the books you can travel around the world. ..... I just want to do something useful for myself.
I read English and German language. The ranking is from 1 (=very bad) through 10 (=excellent).

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

12th book - "Magellan - Der Mann und seine Tat" - Stefan Zweig - 10 points

This is an amazingly written historical fiction of Magellan's heroic trip around the world (1519-1522). Stefan Zweig's style is just fascinating and you can't stop reading. This book is a treasure, understanding history in such an easy and fascinating way. I feel like cruising the Strait of Magellan now.
Marcel Reich-Ranicki about Stefan Zweig: "Aehnlich wie zu seinen Lebzeiten gehört er zu den nach wie vor wirklich beliebten Schriftstellern deutscher Sprache."
Stefan Zweig (*1881 in Vienna) lived from 1919 to 1935 in Salzburg, then moved to England and in 1941 to Brazil where he commited suicide in February 1942.
First published 1937/38. I read the "limitierte Sonderausgabe im Fischer Taschenbuchverlag, November 2005", in German language. ISBN 978-3-596-50932-4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers