40 books in 2010! 20 books in 2011! How many in 2012?
Finishing the last page of a nice book is so much rewarding, so I thought to read more since January 2010 instead of wasting my time in front of the PC or TV. I read whatever I think might be interesting. Fiction or Nonfiction. Each book opens a new horizon. With the books you can travel around the world. ..... I just want to do something useful for myself.
I read English and German language. The ranking is from 1 (=very bad) through 10 (=excellent).

Friday, May 28, 2010

21st book - "By Night in Chile" - Roberto Bolano - 9 points

You learn about the culture and politic of Chile with the main figure Father Urrutia who describes his life, first a literate critic, later he ends up as the "lap dog" to Chile's rich and powerful cultural elite. Interesting is his secret night time job for Pinochet and staff teaching Marxism.
Roberto Bolano was born in Santiago, Chile, 1953, but had to emigrate to Mexico, because of political issues. He was later imprisoned in Chile. He died at the age of 50 in Barcelona, Spain, 2003. His loss was widely mourned in the Latin America and European press.
Originally published in 2000 as "Nocturno de Chile". I read the 2003 English version published by New Directions Book, ISBN 978-0-8112-1547-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers