40 books in 2010! 20 books in 2011! How many in 2012?
Finishing the last page of a nice book is so much rewarding, so I thought to read more since January 2010 instead of wasting my time in front of the PC or TV. I read whatever I think might be interesting. Fiction or Nonfiction. Each book opens a new horizon. With the books you can travel around the world. ..... I just want to do something useful for myself.
I read English and German language. The ranking is from 1 (=very bad) through 10 (=excellent).

Sunday, May 30, 2010

22nd book - "Like Water for Chocolate" - Laura Esquivel - 10 points

The whole title is: "Like Water for Chocolate - A Novel in Monthly Installments with Recipes, Romances and Home Remedies".
What a great idea to integrate the recipes to the story of passionate romance, old traditions and sadness. It reminds me on old German tradition too in which women had no rights at all just work and obey forever. How sad when a young girl's future and hope is destroyed forever by her own parents (in this case by her mother).
Laura Esquivel (*1950) is Mexican.
I read the First Anchor Books English language Edition (a division of Random House), November 1995. First published in Spanish language "Como agua para chocolate" in 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers