40 books in 2010! 20 books in 2011! How many in 2012?
Finishing the last page of a nice book is so much rewarding, so I thought to read more since January 2010 instead of wasting my time in front of the PC or TV. I read whatever I think might be interesting. Fiction or Nonfiction. Each book opens a new horizon. With the books you can travel around the world. ..... I just want to do something useful for myself.
I read English and German language. The ranking is from 1 (=very bad) through 10 (=excellent).

Monday, May 31, 2010

23rd book - "The Last Days of the Incas" - Kim MacQuarrie - 10 points

The perfect book (460 pages!) in my preparation for my Peru vacation in 2 weeks. In a fascinating and interesting way I learned everything necessary about the history of the Incas and the Spanish conquistador. Even his epilogue describing the researches and discoveries from Bingham through the 21st century is written in an easy-to-understand language. It answered my question "why was Machu Picchu built?" and I understand that the "Inca's last and lost city" called Vilcabamba might be even more fascinating than Machu Picchu. Archeological researches still going on in Vilcabamba.
Kim MacQuarrie lived for 5 years in Peru. He is a documentary filmmaker and now lives in the US and Bali, Indonesia. He wrote 3 books about Peru.
First published in 2007. I read the first Simon & Schuster trade paperback edition June 2008. ISBN 978-0-7432-6049-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers